Skip to main content

No seriously, why can't we be friends?

Planet Earth is a mystery. So much life has existed on our planet, and compared to all that; humans are like a speck in it's history. Other life forms have existed on Earth, and no matter how big they got they eventually fell. Now the only remains of them to remember them by are fossils. Eventually, that's going to happen to us. But the thing is, we all know that. Just like we know about the inevitability of death, we know that one day we will be as confusing and old as cave men. So if we all know we only have this short amount of time on Earth, why do we spend so much of it fighting?

There has always been violence among humans. Ever since we started making small communities and settling down, we have felt the need to prove who is stronger. Wars have been fought for petty disagreements, thousands of people died because a few people in power had an argument. On top of all that, we discriminate all through out history. Women aren't strong enough, black people shouldn't have rights, Native Americans need to clear off their own land, and any kind of difference in looks or beliefs is just unnatural. Yes this was all in the past, but things are not as modern as they should be. Women don't get paid the same amount as men, black communities in America are extremely poor, and Native Americans are still fighting for their rights. (And clean water) In the short amount of time provided on Earth, humans have managed to mess everything up.

We do know there is only one Earth, right? And it's not like humans are so important to this planet; in fact if humans suddenly disappeared, life would be better for fish and plants. We wouldn't be around to disturb or kill them anymore, which would give them an opportunity to live. Earth would heal itself, and after about 30 million years there wouldn't be any trace of human existence on Earth. That may look like a long time to us, but considering Earth is 4.543 billion years old, it isn't a long time at all. Of course, scientists have been trying to find life outside of Earth, and see if we can live somewhere else after more wars break out and our planet is too hot to live on, but that need shouldn't have been there in the first place! If we all know we only have one chance of living here we should make the most of it. We should spread love instead of hate, accept differences instead of pushing them away, and take care of our environment instead of adding heat and pollution to it. After all, this is the only life we are going to live on the only planet with life. (That we know of.) Lets make the world a better place.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Research Journal #2: Why My Project Is Important

I'm getting better at interviewing people. I went to the library and the park to interview people yesterday and to Olde Town today. Each location gave me a different experience. When I was at the library people were brief, and didn't really want to talk to me because they were reading or working. I was only able to interview three people there before running out. The park was fun. I interviewed some kids, which was a really fun experience. The kids were very honest about what they were seeing around them and were more opinionated than I expected them to be. Olde town was probably the worst place I could have chosen to interview people. I only talked to two people there, because everyone else was either scared of me or didn't want to talk to me. I think I will spend some time writing down their transcripts and work on my people skills.  I found an article that might help with my situation. " How to Conduct an Effective Job Interview " is a guide for employers to

What Is The Use Of Poetry

I have never been good at poetry. Never. I can appreciate poetry because it's something deep and layered and has hidden meanings in it, but I can never write it. I guess I gave up trying after a few times. But then I went to Get Lit and I have to say, it was really great! To see so many poets sharing their poetry and in a way sharing a part of themselves was so inspiring to see! I got to see my friends share their poetry, I got to see the people listening to the poetry respond to it in a way that was inclusive and accepting. The whole environment of Get Lit was so great, I want to experience that again. That being said, I think poetry exists to let readers see a tiny part of a story. May that story be a person or an event. Poems have layers in them in which you get to make up your own rules. I love Emily Dickenson's poetry because of that--she doesn't conform to any rules, she makes her own rules! This shows the rebellious side of Dickenson that I have fallen in love with

Research Journal #4: Getting to The End Product

I think I have improved my project a lot, but it still feels like I should be doing more. I always feel this way when I'm turning in an assignment. Probably because I should  be doing something more. I just can't figure out what that is though, so I guess that means I'm finished. The final product looks a lot better than the rough draft so I guess that's also a good sign. I got great feedback, which helped a lot. The feedback was honest and truthful, but it wasn't rude which is something I'm not used to. I remember getting my essays edited in high school, and they would come back covered in red pen with stuff I should be improving. I remember one time, my paper was so bad that the girl had to get a blank piece of paper to make suggestions. This time though, the suggested edits were awesome suggestions, and they really helped improve my UGP.