Skip to main content

Does social media make us more unsocial in real life?

It's easy to notice our obsession with technology. Infinite knowledge and entertainment is at our fingertips, who can resist? Technology has allowed people to "connect" in a non-traditional way. Through the internet. With social media the world just got a whole lot smaller! We can talk to people across the world, may they be relatives or friends. With the use of online therapy websites, we can anonymously seek help or make friends. With Facebook, we can reconnect with old friends without actually going back to your home town. However, there are many people out there who believe the younger generation is getting too attached to their phones.

There are plenty of videos and articles that show millennials who are too glued to their phones. For example; Micheal Gonchar, a writer for New York Times, wrote about a video he saw on YouTube called "I Forgot My Phone". In this two minute video, Charlene DeGuzman is going to different social events like a birthday party, hanging out with her friends, or just being with her boyfriend, and they are all consistently on their phone. The main objective of this video was to make people aware of the real life moments they are missing, and I defiantly see her point. There are some people who are not communicating enough in real life, but I believe the phone addiction has gotten better since this video was published in the year 2013.

I believe people have become more aware of their surroundings and have understood that they need to be more present in real life. For example, if you go to a cafeteria or a park, you will see people who are off their phones and talking to their friends. The article and the video made it seem like everyone is obsessed with their phones, but that is simply not true. Now Mr. Gonchar does point out that if someone is sitting alone in a public place, they are usually on their phone and not communicating with anyone. But what do you think they're doing on their phone? They might be checking social media, or texting their family or friends, or simply waiting for their friend to come join them. In simpler words, they are communicating. It's very easy to judge a book by it's cover; it's easy to assume that if someone is sitting alone and is on their phone, they are not social. Making an assumption without knowing the full story is very narrow minded.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Research Journal #2: Why My Project Is Important

I'm getting better at interviewing people. I went to the library and the park to interview people yesterday and to Olde Town today. Each location gave me a different experience. When I was at the library people were brief, and didn't really want to talk to me because they were reading or working. I was only able to interview three people there before running out. The park was fun. I interviewed some kids, which was a really fun experience. The kids were very honest about what they were seeing around them and were more opinionated than I expected them to be. Olde town was probably the worst place I could have chosen to interview people. I only talked to two people there, because everyone else was either scared of me or didn't want to talk to me. I think I will spend some time writing down their transcripts and work on my people skills.  I found an article that might help with my situation. " How to Conduct an Effective Job Interview " is a guide for employers to

What Is The Use Of Poetry

I have never been good at poetry. Never. I can appreciate poetry because it's something deep and layered and has hidden meanings in it, but I can never write it. I guess I gave up trying after a few times. But then I went to Get Lit and I have to say, it was really great! To see so many poets sharing their poetry and in a way sharing a part of themselves was so inspiring to see! I got to see my friends share their poetry, I got to see the people listening to the poetry respond to it in a way that was inclusive and accepting. The whole environment of Get Lit was so great, I want to experience that again. That being said, I think poetry exists to let readers see a tiny part of a story. May that story be a person or an event. Poems have layers in them in which you get to make up your own rules. I love Emily Dickenson's poetry because of that--she doesn't conform to any rules, she makes her own rules! This shows the rebellious side of Dickenson that I have fallen in love with

Research Journal #4: Getting to The End Product

I think I have improved my project a lot, but it still feels like I should be doing more. I always feel this way when I'm turning in an assignment. Probably because I should  be doing something more. I just can't figure out what that is though, so I guess that means I'm finished. The final product looks a lot better than the rough draft so I guess that's also a good sign. I got great feedback, which helped a lot. The feedback was honest and truthful, but it wasn't rude which is something I'm not used to. I remember getting my essays edited in high school, and they would come back covered in red pen with stuff I should be improving. I remember one time, my paper was so bad that the girl had to get a blank piece of paper to make suggestions. This time though, the suggested edits were awesome suggestions, and they really helped improve my UGP.