Skip to main content

Genre Exploration

The most common genre, I've noticed, in books these days is romance. And honestly, I am so tired of romance. I want to read mysteries, horrors, or adventures that don't involve a love interest! (Well, I know most people won't be into that, so maybe a bit of romance but not the main focus.) So that got me thinking that maybe I could write a short story in the horror genre.

It's really hard to get people to be scared, it takes work. The buildup and the suspense is something I will need to work on, but I think I can do it. My sister is a really great writer, maybe I could get a few tips from her. But she doesn't write horror so this will be my thing.

If I move away from the idea of horror, I could also do an adventure short story--something like Percy Jackson or Harry Potter. (But without all the copywriting.) It could be fun to write about heroes who aren't so whiny.

I am also considering a comedy short story--but I'm pretty sure only I find myself funny. I can't tell you how many times I will tell a joke or say something funny, and no one will be laughing but me. So comedy is a last resort option for me. But looking back, I'd say my options are pretty good. They sound fun, I can't wait to start!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Research Journal #2: Why My Project Is Important

I'm getting better at interviewing people. I went to the library and the park to interview people yesterday and to Olde Town today. Each location gave me a different experience. When I was at the library people were brief, and didn't really want to talk to me because they were reading or working. I was only able to interview three people there before running out. The park was fun. I interviewed some kids, which was a really fun experience. The kids were very honest about what they were seeing around them and were more opinionated than I expected them to be. Olde town was probably the worst place I could have chosen to interview people. I only talked to two people there, because everyone else was either scared of me or didn't want to talk to me. I think I will spend some time writing down their transcripts and work on my people skills.  I found an article that might help with my situation. " How to Conduct an Effective Job Interview " is a guide for employers to

What Is The Use Of Poetry

I have never been good at poetry. Never. I can appreciate poetry because it's something deep and layered and has hidden meanings in it, but I can never write it. I guess I gave up trying after a few times. But then I went to Get Lit and I have to say, it was really great! To see so many poets sharing their poetry and in a way sharing a part of themselves was so inspiring to see! I got to see my friends share their poetry, I got to see the people listening to the poetry respond to it in a way that was inclusive and accepting. The whole environment of Get Lit was so great, I want to experience that again. That being said, I think poetry exists to let readers see a tiny part of a story. May that story be a person or an event. Poems have layers in them in which you get to make up your own rules. I love Emily Dickenson's poetry because of that--she doesn't conform to any rules, she makes her own rules! This shows the rebellious side of Dickenson that I have fallen in love with

Research Journal #4: Getting to The End Product

I think I have improved my project a lot, but it still feels like I should be doing more. I always feel this way when I'm turning in an assignment. Probably because I should  be doing something more. I just can't figure out what that is though, so I guess that means I'm finished. The final product looks a lot better than the rough draft so I guess that's also a good sign. I got great feedback, which helped a lot. The feedback was honest and truthful, but it wasn't rude which is something I'm not used to. I remember getting my essays edited in high school, and they would come back covered in red pen with stuff I should be improving. I remember one time, my paper was so bad that the girl had to get a blank piece of paper to make suggestions. This time though, the suggested edits were awesome suggestions, and they really helped improve my UGP.