Skip to main content

The Joy of Baking

Having baking as a hobby was always a challenge for me, especially because I have a habit of getting angry and blaming the recipe rather than myself. It seems obvious now, of course, that I was to blame for all the burned food I prepared. But now that I am trying to be patient with myself and not rush the process, I am seeing better results. I finally understand how baking or cooking can be fun! 

I used to be jealous of people who would eat good food at restaurants and be able to recreate the dish at home. My goal is to become one of those people. Because let's face it, we can't always go to a restaurant to eat good food. Plus, something about the sense of accomplishment makes the food taste better. There's something relaxing about taking your time and cooking something you love. Eventually, you start to think of ways you can improve the recipe and add your touch to it. Like, yeah cookies are cookies but mine have coconut flakes. Which makes them better. 

The euphoric moment of getting a recipe perfect after so many failed attempts is amazing. Yes, I am speaking from experience. 

So, a few days ago I wanted to make a Castella cake. It's supposed to be easy. All you need is cake flour, eggs, butter, milk, and vanilla extract. Easy! So, what you do is get your cake flour and mix that with some melted butter and milk. You separate the egg yolks and whites, the yolks go into the flour mix, and the whites are whipped till they have a soft peak. After mixing everything together, the batter goes into the oven with a hot water bath to add steam. (Here's my source) Everything looked simple. I had only had to go out for one ingredient, everything else was at home. I was ready to go. 

But, if I'm honest, that cake almost broke me. I cried over my failed attempts of making that cake, that's how much it was getting to me. Now, you may be thinking this was an overreaction (and it probably was) but the thing you need to understand is that this was supposed to be easy. I underestimated the work that would go into making this cake something you can actually eat. 

My first three attempts were awful. The bottom of the cake was completely underbaked and I couldn't figure out why. 


We had fun eating the top layer though. The only thing that could be eaten on that failed attempt. I tried three more times. I tried whipping the eggs more so that they were stiff, I tried making the melted butter at a hotter temperature, and each time I was getting close and closer to my goal. The secret was the water temperature. The recipe specified the water should be at 80 degrees celsius, and mine was at about 75 degrees. I got a thermometer specifically for checking food temperature, tried again, and...it worked! 


Not perfect but we could eat it! After three failed attempts my only goal was for the cake to be something we could eat, and it worked! I learned something from each failure, I improved my strategy, and I picked myself up and tried again no matter how horrible it felt to fail at something that was supposed to be easy. Turns out, learning from your mistakes is a useful skill. Who knew? 

Making that cake was so worth it! Because now, I get to start adding my own twist to it! I'm thinking I could drizzle some honey or melted chocolate as it comes out of the oven. It definitely needs way more vanilla than what the recipe calls for. I've found myself in a weird mindset--I actually want to make mistakes. Because then I know what to avoid. This doesn't mean that I want to purposely make mistakes, it just means I want to stay calm and think about how I can improve. I hope that mindset follows me through every aspect of my life. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Is The Use Of Poetry

I have never been good at poetry. Never. I can appreciate poetry because it's something deep and layered and has hidden meanings in it, but I can never write it. I guess I gave up trying after a few times. But then I went to Get Lit and I have to say, it was really great! To see so many poets sharing their poetry and in a way sharing a part of themselves was so inspiring to see! I got to see my friends share their poetry, I got to see the people listening to the poetry respond to it in a way that was inclusive and accepting. The whole environment of Get Lit was so great, I want to experience that again. That being said, I think poetry exists to let readers see a tiny part of a story. May that story be a person or an event. Poems have layers in them in which you get to make up your own rules. I love Emily Dickenson's poetry because of that--she doesn't conform to any rules, she makes her own rules! This shows the rebellious side of Dickenson that I have fallen in love with

Research Journal #4: Getting to The End Product

I think I have improved my project a lot, but it still feels like I should be doing more. I always feel this way when I'm turning in an assignment. Probably because I should  be doing something more. I just can't figure out what that is though, so I guess that means I'm finished. The final product looks a lot better than the rough draft so I guess that's also a good sign. I got great feedback, which helped a lot. The feedback was honest and truthful, but it wasn't rude which is something I'm not used to. I remember getting my essays edited in high school, and they would come back covered in red pen with stuff I should be improving. I remember one time, my paper was so bad that the girl had to get a blank piece of paper to make suggestions. This time though, the suggested edits were awesome suggestions, and they really helped improve my UGP.

Research Journal #2: Why My Project Is Important

I'm getting better at interviewing people. I went to the library and the park to interview people yesterday and to Olde Town today. Each location gave me a different experience. When I was at the library people were brief, and didn't really want to talk to me because they were reading or working. I was only able to interview three people there before running out. The park was fun. I interviewed some kids, which was a really fun experience. The kids were very honest about what they were seeing around them and were more opinionated than I expected them to be. Olde town was probably the worst place I could have chosen to interview people. I only talked to two people there, because everyone else was either scared of me or didn't want to talk to me. I think I will spend some time writing down their transcripts and work on my people skills.  I found an article that might help with my situation. " How to Conduct an Effective Job Interview " is a guide for employers to