Skip to main content

Do we really need grades?

If grade levels and grades didn't exist, I think our school system would be better, and the confidence in students would be better. How do you determine if you're better than someone? The easiest answer is by looking at their grades. I cannot tell you how many times people have said to me; "You got a C in history? Well, I got an A!" What, does that mean you're somehow better? No, of course, it doesn't! But some kids use this tool to determine if they are smart or dumb.

The thing is though, getting good grades is not really that hard. All you have to do is memorize a bunch of stuff for a test, and then forget it all to make room for the next test. But I never liked learning like that because...I never learned anything. The only reason we have that system is because we are told to get good grades (which makes you look more educated).

If we didn't have grades, however, I think kids would actually start learning instead of memorizing. The pressure of getting good grades will be gone. And I know that the opposing argument is; "What about GPAs, and prooving to colleges that you deserve to go there?" Well, maybe instead of showing colleges your grades, you show them your potential! The GPA of a student only shows their ability to know what the teacher wants to see, and college is not like that! I don't know why high school teachers are always saying college is hard. Honestly, it's easier than high school. Because here, I don't have to kiss up to the teacher to ensure a good grade. I know what is expected of me, and I try my best to meet those expectations. I can speak freely.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Watching the March For Our Lives

I woke up today, turned on the T.V., flipped the channel to MSNBC, and didn't turn it off until 2:30 which is when I went down to Olde Town Square to participate in Fort Collin's march. The speeches I saw were so amazing and moving; my mother sister and I watched and cried together as the march went on. I loved the fact that only the kids spoke today--no adults! What an amazing sight! This truly is the future generation's revolution. This also meant that people couldn't say that because a Democrat spoke at the march, it was a political thing. This is a life vs. death thing. I am mainly writing today because I wanted to talk about what my mom said while we were watching the march. She said that when she was younger, she used to have the fire that these kids have. She used to fight for people who couldn't fight for themselves, she used to shout when she saw injustice, and that's the reason she became a teacher. She wanted to bring that fire to the future gener...

Sourdough Bread Journey

 I've always been interested in baking bread and I recently took on the endeavour of baking sourdough. Immediately, I started to hear how difficult sourdough bread is to bake due to the the time consuming aspect of baking the bread properly. Even before this journey, I knew that bread-bakers always attributed sourdough to a very difficult bread. So, I started this journey with my guard up, expecting to make many mistakes that would result in uneatable bread.  Guess what. They lied.  I'm not saying it was incredibly easy, there are plenty of lessons I've learned through my mistakes. But those mistakes do not mark a difficulty for me, they mark my accomplishments. I've made mistakes I never thought I could make through my journey of baking sourdough, but they taught me valuable lessons and I don't regret a single mistake I made.  I decided to dust off my blog after taking to a friend about sourdough, and all she had heard about it was that it was the most difficult th...

My (really awful) Poem About Advocating For Students

I'm really bad at writing poems, especially if they are supposed to convey a deeper meaning. What I want to bring across is how I want to be a positive role model in kid's lives and get them excited to come to class. I want to make my class fun, and have really fun discussions about texts as well as learn how to write your own texts! (Essays, poems, short stories, etc.) I remember sitting in class, dreading every minute of it. Why am I supposed to be interested in a subject that bores me to tears? "You'll use this in real life" my math teachers always said. I think they forgot that calculators exist. But with literature class, I always looked forward to it. I liked discussing opinions and having fun, Our teacher knew how to make the class enjoyable. Our class environment was really friendly and supportive, Which is something I hope to bring in my future classroom. Like I said, my poetry skills are not the best. This is the best I could come up with in ...