Skip to main content

"This I Believe"

As someone hoping to be a teacher of English, Literature someday, I hope to improve our existing education system. Yes, there are problems with it, but there is also room for improvement. I believe to get our education system to "perfection", we need to let our students individually decide what they are interested in, and teach for the sake of teaching, not for the sake of passing a test.

I have always hated it when teachers enter a classroom, telling their students that a test is coming up and if they are not prepared they will definitely fail. What is the point of that? All that does is add stress. And say that a few kids managed to memorize everything the teacher threw at them, and pass the test with flying colors. Doesn't mean they learned anything, it just means they know what the teacher wants to see. Why can't teachers come to class excited about what they will be teaching that day? Why can't teachers make their class something to look forward to? Are you telling me that teachers willing put themselves through years of classes and training just so they can hate their job? No! I believe every teacher is passionate about their subject, but some just don't know how to show it. Instead, they focus on how they can prepare tests, or how many points their students can earn in their class. What is the point of a stressful class? For example, I used to love reading and writing until I took an A.P. American Literature class. My teacher seemed to enjoy watching me fail! Every time he handed back a test or an essay, there would be red marks all over it! But did he ever ask me to see him so that he can find out why I am struggling? Did he ever take interest in what was going on in my life? Did he ever even ask why I was struggling? Nope! He just sat there and let it happen! After that I started losing interest in reading and writing, it took a really good teacher who helped me understand my mistakes for me to take an interest again. But that teacher hadn't been there for me, I would have dropped Literature. That's the problem with our education system. It's all so point based, and when you fail you feel so ashamed.

To fix this, I think we should follow Finland's lead and make school less stressful. In Finland, students don't stress about homework because they hardly get any, tests are not the only way to prove your intelligence, and teachers are much more lenient when it comes to grades. Why can't we be like that?

Inspired by: Teacher from Nick Capo 

Comments

  1. Mudita, I can hear your passion through your words! I agree that teaching/learning can't just be about points, tests, and grades. Your post is a great reminder that when students are struggling, the best way to help is for the teacher to ask why. I know you will be that teacher for your students!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Research Journal #2: Why My Project Is Important

I'm getting better at interviewing people. I went to the library and the park to interview people yesterday and to Olde Town today. Each location gave me a different experience. When I was at the library people were brief, and didn't really want to talk to me because they were reading or working. I was only able to interview three people there before running out. The park was fun. I interviewed some kids, which was a really fun experience. The kids were very honest about what they were seeing around them and were more opinionated than I expected them to be. Olde town was probably the worst place I could have chosen to interview people. I only talked to two people there, because everyone else was either scared of me or didn't want to talk to me. I think I will spend some time writing down their transcripts and work on my people skills.  I found an article that might help with my situation. " How to Conduct an Effective Job Interview " is a guide for employers to

What Is The Use Of Poetry

I have never been good at poetry. Never. I can appreciate poetry because it's something deep and layered and has hidden meanings in it, but I can never write it. I guess I gave up trying after a few times. But then I went to Get Lit and I have to say, it was really great! To see so many poets sharing their poetry and in a way sharing a part of themselves was so inspiring to see! I got to see my friends share their poetry, I got to see the people listening to the poetry respond to it in a way that was inclusive and accepting. The whole environment of Get Lit was so great, I want to experience that again. That being said, I think poetry exists to let readers see a tiny part of a story. May that story be a person or an event. Poems have layers in them in which you get to make up your own rules. I love Emily Dickenson's poetry because of that--she doesn't conform to any rules, she makes her own rules! This shows the rebellious side of Dickenson that I have fallen in love with

Research Journal #4: Getting to The End Product

I think I have improved my project a lot, but it still feels like I should be doing more. I always feel this way when I'm turning in an assignment. Probably because I should  be doing something more. I just can't figure out what that is though, so I guess that means I'm finished. The final product looks a lot better than the rough draft so I guess that's also a good sign. I got great feedback, which helped a lot. The feedback was honest and truthful, but it wasn't rude which is something I'm not used to. I remember getting my essays edited in high school, and they would come back covered in red pen with stuff I should be improving. I remember one time, my paper was so bad that the girl had to get a blank piece of paper to make suggestions. This time though, the suggested edits were awesome suggestions, and they really helped improve my UGP.