Skip to main content

Education Reform

I was looking through websites and blogs that advocate for educational reform and change, and providing better resources and improving school systems that favor students rather than school charters.

The National Education Association looks into the school systems around the country and examines how many states offer education choice options. In these education options, they look into "Education Savings Account", "Voucher", "Tax-Credit Scholarship", and "Individual Tax Credit/Deduction". Each type of school ranges in eligibility and average funding as well as participation rate. The website talks about how to take action to have better-funded schools and how students can benefit from education rather than be stressed from it. I really love this idea because at the moment it looks like schools are not benefiting students as well as they should be. Most schools are very under-funded while schools across town are highly funded. The perfect example of this can be seen right here in Fort Collins. Preston Middle School and Fossil High School are highly funded schools, and always outperform other schools in the district. Their classrooms are flooded with supplies! There are even sofas in some classes for students to use. Meanwhile, Lincon Middle School and Poudre High School are underfunded which means they have to be careful with the resources they use. The paint in art class is very low or dried up, pencil and paper are not provided for students, and Poudre does not stand a chance in any district activity because they do not have the resources to practice. I went to Poudre High School for half a year, and it was clear that students there did not expect any improvement in their school. And I'm having recitation and lab in Preston Middle School, and I'm constantly surprised at how many supplies are available for students, and how advanced their technology is. Even the ranges of classes they have available to them are unheard of in low funded schools.

The other website I looked into was Everyday Advocacy: Changing the Narrative About Literacy Education. The website focuses on individual voices both for students and teachers. It encourages teachers to be "everyday advocates" for students and other teachers and encourages action instead of complaints. Obviously, complaints are important--but they're the first step. One cannot simply complain and expect the problem to be fixed. Which is why I love that the website encourages action when you see inequality.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sourdough Bread Journey

 I've always been interested in baking bread and I recently took on the endeavour of baking sourdough. Immediately, I started to hear how difficult sourdough bread is to bake due to the the time consuming aspect of baking the bread properly. Even before this journey, I knew that bread-bakers always attributed sourdough to a very difficult bread. So, I started this journey with my guard up, expecting to make many mistakes that would result in uneatable bread.  Guess what. They lied.  I'm not saying it was incredibly easy, there are plenty of lessons I've learned through my mistakes. But those mistakes do not mark a difficulty for me, they mark my accomplishments. I've made mistakes I never thought I could make through my journey of baking sourdough, but they taught me valuable lessons and I don't regret a single mistake I made.  I decided to dust off my blog after taking to a friend about sourdough, and all she had heard about it was that it was the most difficult th...

Watching the March For Our Lives

I woke up today, turned on the T.V., flipped the channel to MSNBC, and didn't turn it off until 2:30 which is when I went down to Olde Town Square to participate in Fort Collin's march. The speeches I saw were so amazing and moving; my mother sister and I watched and cried together as the march went on. I loved the fact that only the kids spoke today--no adults! What an amazing sight! This truly is the future generation's revolution. This also meant that people couldn't say that because a Democrat spoke at the march, it was a political thing. This is a life vs. death thing. I am mainly writing today because I wanted to talk about what my mom said while we were watching the march. She said that when she was younger, she used to have the fire that these kids have. She used to fight for people who couldn't fight for themselves, she used to shout when she saw injustice, and that's the reason she became a teacher. She wanted to bring that fire to the future gener...

#NeverAgain

America is all too familiar with school shootings. So many shootings aren't even covered by the media because Trump's tweets are way more important. It's always the same routine; after a shooting, the White House will offer their "thoughts and prayers", and say it's too early to talk about gun laws. Then, after a few weeks our representatives will try to start a conversation about gun laws, but since there are too many disagreements the conversation is brought to an end until the next shooting. Then the cycle starts over again. But this time, there is something different. The Parkland school shooting survivors are not satisfied with the White House's "thoughts and prayers", and are demanding change!  I am deeply saddened by the school shooting in Florida and disappointed in our representatives for saying there was nothing they can do to prevent this. Ok--let's break down that argument, shall we? The claim that nothing could have been done ...