Skip to main content

Book Review: This I Believe

I was substituting for a really great class when I ran across a book called "This I Believe". It was among one of the many books stacked on to the teacher's desk, but what interested me was the description of the book. "This I Believe" is a series of small essays submitted by people from across the country, and it originally started as a radio show broadcast in the 1950s. People would write their essays and read them aloud on the radio, and they were required to be under five minutes so they had to be clear and concise. 

The first story I read really intrigued me to keep reading the book further, and the story was called "Be Cool to the Pizza Dude". The author, Sarah Adams, describes her philosophy for empathy and kindness through the idea that everyone should be cool to the pizza dude. If they cut you off in traffic, be understanding. They have a lot of deliveries and don't get paid too much for the hard work they do. If they are a little rude to you in the grocery store, move past it and let it go. Their job can be very taxing, one can only imagine the stress. Through this philosophy, Adams told the readers how she tries to be kind to people. By understanding that everyone has a tough job, everyone has stress, and everyone needs a little kindness once in a while, she was able to slow down and think about the person on the receiving end of her anger. And in her mind, if someone is delivering a pizza to you or to someone else, they deserve some slack. By extending this metaphor to everyone, she was able to be kind to everyone.

 

After I read that I couldn't put the book down. This book was filled with little snippets of people's lives, and through the stories they told you could see what they were passionate about. There were some transcripts from the original 1950's radio show, but most of these essays were written not too long ago. I found some recognizable names in the book; for example, Anthony Fauci, Bill Gates, and Eleanor Roosevelt. It was so cool to see that some people we know today through the public light have been passionate about their careers for a long time. Obviously, Dr. Fauci's essay was really intriguing to read. Not only because I'm a big fan of his work, but because I was able to get a little snippet of his story, and see how much he really loves helping people to the best of his ability. 

 

The authors shared a lot of thought-provoking ideas in their stories. There were some about grief, kindness, religion or lack thereof, and passion. I found each one of them compelling to read and think about, which is what made this book so great. I really wanted to speed through this book and read it as soon as I could, but it became impossible not to slow down and think about what you had just read. 

 

To close this review, I’ll share some of my favorite quotes.  

 

 

“Before Jon’s death, I took pride in the fact that I rarely asked for help or favors. I defined myself by my competence and independence. So who was I if I was no longer capable and busy? How could I respect myself if all I did was sit on the couch every day and watch the snowfall?

Learning how to receive the love and support that came my way wasn’t easy. Friends cooked for me, and I cried because I couldn’t even help them set the table…. One very wise man told me ‘You are not doing nothing. Being fully open to your grief may be the hardest work you will ever do.’” 


The Hardest Work You Will Ever Do–Mary Cook


 

“I have an unusual statement to make. I am a man who believes he is happy. What makes it unusual is that a man who is happy seldom tells anyone. The unhappy man is more communicative. He is eager to recite what is wrong with the world, and he seems to have the talent for gathering a large audience. It is a modern tragedy that despair has so many spokesmen, and hope so few.” 


Happy Talk–Oscar Hammerstein II (as featured in the 1950s series)

 


“‘This I Believe’ [essay] seems to demand something more personal, some leap of faith that helps one see life’s big picture, some rules to live by. So, I’m saying, ‘This I believe–I believe there is no god.’ 

Having taken the steps, it informs every moment of my life. I’m not greedy. I have love, blue skies, rainbows, and Hallmark cards, and that has to be enough. It has to be enough, but it’s everything in the world, and everything in the world is plenty for me. It seems just rude to beg the invisible for more. Just the love of my family that raised me and the family I’m raising now is enough that I don’t need more heaven.” 


There is no God–Penn Jillette 

 


“Principle 1: Coolness to the pizza delivery dude is a practice of humanity and forgiveness. I let him cut me off in traffic, let him safely hit the exit ramp from the left lane, let him forget to use his blinker without extending any of my digits out the window…

Principle 2: Coolness to the pizza delivery dude is a practice of empathy. Let’s face it: We’ve all taken jobs just to have a job because some money is better than none….

Principle 3: Coolness to the pizza delivery dudes is a practice of honor, and it reminds me to honor honest work….

Principle 4: Coolness to the pizza delivery dude is a practice in equality…. I am equal to all I meet because of the kindness in my heart. And it all starts here–with the pizza delivery dude. 

Tip him well, friends and brethren, for that which you bestow freely and willingly will bring you all the happy luck that a grateful universe knows how to return.” 


Be Cool to the Pizza Dude–Sarah Adams 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Is The Use Of Poetry

I have never been good at poetry. Never. I can appreciate poetry because it's something deep and layered and has hidden meanings in it, but I can never write it. I guess I gave up trying after a few times. But then I went to Get Lit and I have to say, it was really great! To see so many poets sharing their poetry and in a way sharing a part of themselves was so inspiring to see! I got to see my friends share their poetry, I got to see the people listening to the poetry respond to it in a way that was inclusive and accepting. The whole environment of Get Lit was so great, I want to experience that again. That being said, I think poetry exists to let readers see a tiny part of a story. May that story be a person or an event. Poems have layers in them in which you get to make up your own rules. I love Emily Dickenson's poetry because of that--she doesn't conform to any rules, she makes her own rules! This shows the rebellious side of Dickenson that I have fallen in love with

Research Journal #4: Getting to The End Product

I think I have improved my project a lot, but it still feels like I should be doing more. I always feel this way when I'm turning in an assignment. Probably because I should  be doing something more. I just can't figure out what that is though, so I guess that means I'm finished. The final product looks a lot better than the rough draft so I guess that's also a good sign. I got great feedback, which helped a lot. The feedback was honest and truthful, but it wasn't rude which is something I'm not used to. I remember getting my essays edited in high school, and they would come back covered in red pen with stuff I should be improving. I remember one time, my paper was so bad that the girl had to get a blank piece of paper to make suggestions. This time though, the suggested edits were awesome suggestions, and they really helped improve my UGP.

Research Journal #2: Why My Project Is Important

I'm getting better at interviewing people. I went to the library and the park to interview people yesterday and to Olde Town today. Each location gave me a different experience. When I was at the library people were brief, and didn't really want to talk to me because they were reading or working. I was only able to interview three people there before running out. The park was fun. I interviewed some kids, which was a really fun experience. The kids were very honest about what they were seeing around them and were more opinionated than I expected them to be. Olde town was probably the worst place I could have chosen to interview people. I only talked to two people there, because everyone else was either scared of me or didn't want to talk to me. I think I will spend some time writing down their transcripts and work on my people skills.  I found an article that might help with my situation. " How to Conduct an Effective Job Interview " is a guide for employers to