Skip to main content

The Importance of Classroom Setup

As a substitute teacher, I have been able to observe a variety of K-12 classes...and I have some thoughts. Specifically about classroom setup. 

From the moment you walk into the classroom, you can tell what kind of day you're going to have. Not because of the students, but because of how the classroom is set up. For example; if you walked into a class and saw bean bags near a shelf full of books, lamps along the edges of the class, a great speaker system, or a spotless desk with organized cubbies for turned in work from students, you know you will have an amazing day. However, if you walk into a room with single file desks, no posters on the walls, a dusty teacher desk, and/or no speakers (!!!) then you know today is going to be a challenge. The way a classroom is set up is very important, and it sets a good first impression of how the teacher is going to manage the class. From what I have seen, and what researchers have observed, it's clear that a student-centered classroom is focused on cultivating creativity and a positive environment. The very first step in creating such an environment is setting up a classroom where students feel comfortable and respected. If the teacher has not put in the effort to create a welcoming environment, the students will most likely not put in the effort to succeed in the class. 

The teachers who have a cool classroom setup never have any "behavioral problems", no matter what school you go to. Their class is so chill and the students have been given a lot of freedom on how they can spend their time. I've subbed for classes where some students will take breaks in the middle of class, go out for a walk, and come back calmer and ready to continue their work. These kinds of classes also have a fun lesson plan that's interactive and promote creativity among the students. Caroline Guardio explored the benefits of a creative classroom in her article; "Changing behaviors by changing the classroom environment" Guardio explains that a well-organized and welcoming classroom can encourage students to engage more in the classroom and with their peers in a positive way.  Moreover, giving students the freedom to explore their individual learning styles will help them be more focused. 

My personal experiences with fun and welcoming classrooms have been amazing. Some teachers have set up cozy reading areas in their class, some have put up lamps around the class so they don't have to use the fluorescent lights, some have even set up coffee stations for students to use. Of course, not all teachers can invest so much money into their class, but there are still ways to make your class a comfortable place. For example, having speakers so you can play music while students work, and arranging the desks in groups rather than rows is a great way to create a welcoming environment. The smallest or simplest effort can make a big difference. Each teacher has clearly communicated their expectations of upholding the welcoming environment, and the students respect it. They know that the teacher went out of their way to make the classroom as welcoming and comfortable as possible, and they want to do their part in keeping it that way. 

It's easy to notice that when students have been trusted to do the right thing by their teacher, they will not want to disappoint them. However, teachers that think they need to "keep their students in line" will always have problems. The rules that the teachers have set up from the beginning of the semester are very rigid, and worst of all they have no reason to be so rigid. Some teachers don't allow their students to listen to music or even talk while they work, and there's no reason have those rules to begin with. They set up the bar so low, it's on the floor. With that low of a bar, I can easily walk in and be the cool fun sub that plays music during work time, or worse...let the kids talk during work time!!! In an environment like that, most students will not put in their full effort, and they most likey won't care if they fail the class. Sometimes it seems like the teacher doesn't even care about their own space. The amount of times I've had to sit at a dusty table with papers everywhere is insane. If even the teacher isn't putting in any effort, what motivation do students have to try their best to succeed in their class? 

Of course, a classroom set up is not the only things a teacher has to do in order to set up a welcoming environment, but it is the first step they need to take. Even the simple act of arranging the desks in groups rather than rows can make a difference. I remember when I was training to be a teacher, I had big plans of having shelves full of interesting books and cozy chairs in a corner of the room, string lights and lamps along the walls, and speakers around the class. I was inspired by teachers who had gone above and beyond to create a welcoming environment through those same strategies, especially because I knew that not every teacher is that dedicated to student needs. I hope that when I have my own class, I will have it set up in such a way that a sub can walk in and immidietly know that it will be a good day. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Is The Use Of Poetry

I have never been good at poetry. Never. I can appreciate poetry because it's something deep and layered and has hidden meanings in it, but I can never write it. I guess I gave up trying after a few times. But then I went to Get Lit and I have to say, it was really great! To see so many poets sharing their poetry and in a way sharing a part of themselves was so inspiring to see! I got to see my friends share their poetry, I got to see the people listening to the poetry respond to it in a way that was inclusive and accepting. The whole environment of Get Lit was so great, I want to experience that again. That being said, I think poetry exists to let readers see a tiny part of a story. May that story be a person or an event. Poems have layers in them in which you get to make up your own rules. I love Emily Dickenson's poetry because of that--she doesn't conform to any rules, she makes her own rules! This shows the rebellious side of Dickenson that I have fallen in love with

Research Journal #2: Why My Project Is Important

I'm getting better at interviewing people. I went to the library and the park to interview people yesterday and to Olde Town today. Each location gave me a different experience. When I was at the library people were brief, and didn't really want to talk to me because they were reading or working. I was only able to interview three people there before running out. The park was fun. I interviewed some kids, which was a really fun experience. The kids were very honest about what they were seeing around them and were more opinionated than I expected them to be. Olde town was probably the worst place I could have chosen to interview people. I only talked to two people there, because everyone else was either scared of me or didn't want to talk to me. I think I will spend some time writing down their transcripts and work on my people skills.  I found an article that might help with my situation. " How to Conduct an Effective Job Interview " is a guide for employers to

Research Journal #4: Getting to The End Product

I think I have improved my project a lot, but it still feels like I should be doing more. I always feel this way when I'm turning in an assignment. Probably because I should  be doing something more. I just can't figure out what that is though, so I guess that means I'm finished. The final product looks a lot better than the rough draft so I guess that's also a good sign. I got great feedback, which helped a lot. The feedback was honest and truthful, but it wasn't rude which is something I'm not used to. I remember getting my essays edited in high school, and they would come back covered in red pen with stuff I should be improving. I remember one time, my paper was so bad that the girl had to get a blank piece of paper to make suggestions. This time though, the suggested edits were awesome suggestions, and they really helped improve my UGP.